Top 10 for 2011 (so far)

2011 has been an interesting year so far, immigration-wise. Whether it’s because of the big changes in the legislation and policy or because it seems like Halifax is being exposed as a hotbed of the unscrupulous consultant, we have noticed a change in the types of inquiries we are getting. This is a list of the top ten issues we are being consulted on these days. Please email us or check the Blog for updates and our answers to these questions.

10. I am a permanent resident with a valid PR Card. I arrived at the airport and ended up being questioned for 3 hours about whether or not I can prove I live here. In the end the officer “reported” me for being inadmissible to Canada. Now I have to go back for another interview to deal with the report. What can I do?

9. My permanent residence card is about to expire but I have not been in Canada for 730 days. What should I do?

8. I have been working in Canada as a cook for 4 years. I want to become a permanent resident. I have a wife and child back home, a grade 9 education and basic English but no French.  What can I do?

7. I filed my work permit extension application 3 months before it expired. Now I see that these applications are taking 4 or 5 months to be processed and I have to leave Canada for a few weeks. My permit is now expired. What can I do?

6.  I am from Colombia. I came to Canada to visit my 40-year old brother who is a citizen here. He is disabled and alone. Now things in Colombia are getting worse and my family there is being threatened. I want to stay in Canada. What can I do?

5. I married a Canadian and am here as a visitor. My visitor permit is about to expire. What should I do?

4. My 35 year old sister was left alone in Iran when the rest of the family immigrated here 2 years ago. She is a nurse. What can she do to come here?

3. I am graduating from a university in Halifax this year. I want to work but I don’t have a job offer. What can I do?

2. I have been living in Canada without status for 17 years. What can I do?

1. I hired an immigration consultant for my PR Card renewal who told me to say I was here when I wasn’t. I sent in the application with untrue information on it. I just had an interview with an immigration officer who gave me a form called a Residency Questionnaire to fill out. Now what?

Elizabeth Wozniak on CBC radio

Following the recent fraud allegations against an immigration consultant in Bedford, Nova Scotia, Elizabeth Wozniak was interviewed on CBC Radio One’s Information Morning to speak on the dangers unethical immigration consultants pose to prospective immigrants. Visit the cbc website to hear the whole interview.

Government of Canada consults on immigrant skilled worker program


From the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website:

“Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is proposing changes to the Federal Skilled Worker program to help Canada select immigrants who have the best chance of integrating and making a better contribution to the Canadian economy.

CIC is consulting with stakeholders and the public on the proposed changes. The input received through the consultation process will be taken into account in the development of new regulations. A summary of the results of this process will be published on our website in spring/summer 2011.  Only totals from each question will be reported (names, identifying information or organization details will not be included in the report).”

TO participate in the online questionnaire go to the CIC website.

About us

Proudly based in Halifax, NS, we assist with all Canadian immigration matters. All work on client files is performed by one of our 4 lawyers and we only charge flat rates.
Lawyers: Elizabeth Wozniak | Lori Hill | Cameron MacLeanLara Green
Office Hours: M-F 9-5 |  Tel: (902) 446-4747 

Contact Us

Our fees

As of January 1, 2011, our policy is to charge a flat rate fee for most immigration matters we take on. List of fees »

Humanitarian Application


A few years ago we were looking for a lawyer for my parents to prepare their applications for Citizenship and Immigration Canada to let them stay in Canada on humanitarian basis. It was not easy – most of the lawyers have been very skeptical about the chances of our humanitarian application. Elizabeth Wozniak was the only lawyer we have found, who had the experience we were looking for and she was ready to help us.

Rapid International Growth

Their work is always of the highest quality and they understand the operational requirements of our business; but what sets them apart from others is their responsiveness to our needs and the personal commitment that they make to getting the job done for their clients.

J.L., Human Resources Manager, Halifax

International Medical Graduate

Elizabeth Wozniak and her team met with us and found a solution to our case in a quick and efficient manner. They kept us up to date with the process and before we knew it I had my new work permit. I am so glad I brought my case to Elizabeth and her team. I would recommend her services, particularly to anyone that feels their case is complex.

D.M. (physician) and family

Temporary Residence

A temporary resident in Canada is someone who is not a Canadian citizen but is in Canada for a temporary purpose. Temporary residents include temporary foreign workers, business visitors, international students, tourists and caregivers. Read more »

Permanent Residence

, ,

When most people think of Canadian immigration, they are thinking about permanent residence in Canada. Applications for permanent residence fall into the following categories: The Family Class (spouses, dependent children and parent/grandparent sponsorship), the Economic Classes (Express Entry and Provincial Nominee Programs) and Refugee and Humanitarian programs. Programs open and close regularly so it is important to get the right information at the right time. There are also some obscure categories which are not well known but which can be very useful in the right circumstances. These would include the “Lonely Canadian”  (within the family class) and the Federal Self-Employed program (for artists, athletes and farmers). Read more »