This is easily the worst news from CIC so far this year, disguised as a good news press release. Thanks CIC for waiting until after 5pm on a Friday afternoon to release it.


2011 has been an interesting year so far, immigration-wise. Whether it’s because of the big changes in the legislation and policy or because it seems like Halifax is being exposed as a hotbed of the unscrupulous consultant, we have noticed a change in the types of inquiries we are getting. This is a list of the top ten issues we are being consulted on these days. Please email us or check the Blog for updates and our answers to these questions.

10. I am a permanent resident with a valid PR Card. I arrived at the airport and ended up being questioned for 3 hours about whether or not I can prove I live here. In the end the officer “reported” me for being inadmissible to Canada. Now I have to go back for another interview to deal with the report. What can I do?

9. My permanent residence card is about to expire but I have not been in Canada for 730 days. What should I do?

8. I have been working in Canada as a cook for 4 years. I want to become a permanent resident. I have a wife and child back home, a grade 9 education and basic English but no French.  What can I do?

7. I filed my work permit extension application 3 months before it expired. Now I see that these applications are taking 4 or 5 months to be processed and I have to leave Canada for a few weeks. My permit is now expired. What can I do?

6.  I am from Colombia. I came to Canada to visit my 40-year old brother who is a citizen here. He is disabled and alone. Now things in Colombia are getting worse and my family there is being threatened. I want to stay in Canada. What can I do?

5. I married a Canadian and am here as a visitor. My visitor permit is about to expire. What should I do?

4. My 35 year old sister was left alone in Iran when the rest of the family immigrated here 2 years ago. She is a nurse. What can she do to come here?

3. I am graduating from a university in Halifax this year. I want to work but I don’t have a job offer. What can I do?

2. I have been living in Canada without status for 17 years. What can I do?

1. I hired an immigration consultant for my PR Card renewal who told me to say I was here when I wasn’t. I sent in the application with untrue information on it. I just had an interview with an immigration officer who gave me a form called a Residency Questionnaire to fill out. Now what?

Following the recent fraud allegations against an immigration consultant in Bedford, Nova Scotia, Elizabeth Wozniak was interviewed on CBC Radio One’s Information Morning to speak on the dangers unethical immigration consultants pose to prospective immigrants. Visit the cbc website to hear the whole interview.

From the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website:

“Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is proposing changes to the Federal Skilled Worker program to help Canada select immigrants who have the best chance of integrating and making a better contribution to the Canadian economy.

CIC is consulting with stakeholders and the public on the proposed changes. The input received through the consultation process will be taken into account in the development of new regulations. A summary of the results of this process will be published on our website in spring/summer 2011.  Only totals from each question will be reported (names, identifying information or organization details will not be included in the report).”

TO participate in the online questionnaire go to the CIC website.